Race analyst Nate Getman joined NEWSChannel 2 Friday morning to talk about the upcoming Boilermaker Road Race.
Due to the Peachtree Road Race that was recently held in Atlanta, Georgia on July 4, the elite field for this year’s Boilermaker 15K isn’t as deep as is usually is, but it will still be a good turnout.
“On the men’s side, it should look a lot like last year,” Getman said. “We have six of the top 10 returning, so it’ll look very similar to last year. The women’s side is actually much deeper than the men’s side.”
In terms of local runners, the top men to watch out for are Sam Morse of Camden, Zakaria Adam Djouma of Utica and Matt Lacey of Clinton. Morse has continually been one of the top local runners in the Boilermaker.
“He has to be admired for his consistency,” Getman said. “Great story – National Guardsman, engineer full-time, just finished second at the Vermont City Marathon … so he should challenge that 47 minute barrier. Not only one of the top locals, one of the top elites.”
The top women to watch out for are Cassia Hameline of New Hartford, Justyna Wilkinson of Deerfield and Kelly Colbert of Utica.
“She has kind of been quietly sneaking in every year under an hour,” Getman said about Hameline, “which is a pretty amazing barrier for a local woman. I expect to see her under 59 minutes this year.”
Wilkinson will not be racing competitively this year, but “even a light run for her should put her in the top local,” Getman said.
For more on the analysis of the elite runners and top local runners, watch the above video.
- Race analyst Nate Getman talks top local Boilermaker runners to watch for
- Race Analyst Nate Getman breaks down elite runner field
- 4 local high school runners awarded Boilermaker Road Race scholarships
- Local runners, law enforcement talk runners safety
- Boilermaker motorcycle driver talks race day responsibilities
- Boilermaker 5K, 15K & wheelchair race top finishers
- NewsTalk: Joe Wilcyzynski, from Go the Distance, talks about perennial Boilermaker runners
- Early access, deferral runner registration opens for Boilermaker 15K 2016
- First-time Boilermaker runner? Apply now for Go The Distance!
- Boilermaker 2018 - Get ready to cheer the runners on!