Photo Gallery 15 Images
The Otsego County Sheriff’s Office is investigating an animal cruelty case after 104 animals in deplorable conditions were seized from a New Lisbon farm.
Nine dogs, one cat, 20 pigs, seven donkeys, 13 chickens, three ducks, 13 sheep, 25 geese, seven rabbits, one guinea hen, two parakeets, one pigeon, one tortoise and one turkey were found at the farm at 166 Backus Road in New Lisbon on Saturday morning.
The Susquehanna Animal Shelter, which is assisting the Sheriff’s Office with the case, says that all of the farm animals have been rehomed, and although details on the nine dogs and one cat are currently confidential, the shelter says that they are safe and being cared for.
According to AllOtsego.com, deputies were called to the 26-acre farm on Friday evening after a passerby saw a goose caught in the electric fence. Other horrors found on the farm include a dead goat carcass being fed off of by pigs, hens packed so tightly into pens that their feathers were rubbed off, and a basement so full of feces that deputies could barely open the door to rescue five dogs inside.
A man and woman who own the property are facing charges of animal cruelty, growing marijuana and possession of marijuana, according to AllOtsego.com.
The Sheriff’s Office says they’ve received an outpouring of support for the public offering hay, feed and homes for the animals.
Deputies say their primary goal at this time is the welfare of the animals and their immediate needs, but the investigation is ongoing and they will provide updates soon.
If you’d like to make a donation toward the care and medical needs of the nine dogs and one cat currently at the shelter, you can donate online here, or you can send a donation by mail or visit the shelter at 4841 State Route 28, Cooperstown, NY 13326.
This story has been updated to reflect that 104 animals were seized instead of 103. A press release issued by sheriff's deputies listed an additional turkey that the animal shelter did not include.
- 104 animals in deplorable conditions seized from New Lisbon farm
- Cops: 3 kids, 17 animals removed from 'deplorable' Lafayette home
- Otsego County Sheriff provides more information on New Lisbon animal cruelty case
- Utica woman charged after child is found in 'deplorable,' 'unsafe' conditions
- Otsego County man will not stand trial for New Lisbon murder
- Man arrested days after deputies find meth-making materials in New Lisbon home
- DiNitto Farms holds annual Farm Fest
- Newstalk: Farming Your Future
- Conditions in Otsego County
- Cocaine-filled pineapples seized in Spain