UTICA – A new affordable housing complex has officially opened in the city of Utica.
A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held Monday morning at West Street Apartments, a 42-unit development on West Street in Utica. The new complex includes six units specifically for formally homeless families and 11 supportive units for people recovering from mental illness.
The new $13.8 million facility is run by the Rescue Mission of Utica, which is located right around the corner on Rutger Street.
The building also houses a Community Services Center for tenants and local residents with a learning center, a community clothing room, food pantry and meal program, and a representative payee program that helps people manage their financial obligations.
Jim Haid, executive director of the Rescue Mission of Utica, says the complex took a long time to come together but it was well worth the wait. He says the funding to build it came from a variety of sources.
"It's a variety of sources, but mostly through New York State," Haid said. "Homes and Community Renewal, OTIDA, some city funds through HOME Funds, a few other investors, but mostly through investment through Homes and Community Renewal."
"We created – the Rescue Mission of Utica created – West Street Apartments LLC, so we are the owners of the facility, obviously with the partners we have with the investors, they are all in that mix as well," Haid said.
All 42 of the units are already occupied. If you’re interested in getting on the waiting list for one of the units, you can call the Rescue Mission of Utica.
- West Street Apartments complex opens in Utica
- A sneak peek at the West Street Apartment Complex
- Utica apartment complex tenants say crime is rampant; management-absent
- Lenox Café opens in west Utica
- Police investigate stabbing in downtown Utica apartment
- Police respond to Olbiston Apartments in Utica
- Cats found abandoned in Utica apartment
- North Utica KFC opens Thursday
- Utica Armory holds open house
- UPDATE: Utica police investigating homicide on Elizabeth Street in Utica