Tips for Using Fireworks Safely:
• Only purchase sparking and novelty devices from New York State registered retailers.
• Never use or make professional-grade fireworks.
• Do not buy or use fireworks that are packaged in brown paper; this is often a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and are not for consumer use.
• Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks, including sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees This is hot enough to melt some metals. In 2018 sparklers accounted for more than half of the total estimated injuries for children under the age of 5. It is illegal for anyone under 18 years of age to use sparkling devices in New York State.
• Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Move to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
• Never point or throw fireworks at another person or occupied area.
• Always wear eye protection when using sparkling devices.
• Light fireworks outside, one at a time, then move away from them quickly.
• Keep a bucket of water, garden hose, or fire extinguisher handy, in case of fire or other mishap.
• Never try to relight or handle malfunctioning fireworks. Soak them with water and throw them away.
• After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding the device, to prevent a trash fire.
Tips for Using Outdoor Grills Safely:
Before lighting the grill do a safety check.
• Has your grill been recalled? Check gov. If the grill has been recalled, contact the manufacturer and stop using it until you get a repair or replacement.
• Inspect the hoses on a gas grill for cracking, brittleness, holes, and leaks. Make sure there are no sharp bends in the hose or tubing and that all connections are secure. Replace if necessary.
• Check for propane gas leaks. Open the gas supply valve fully and apply a soapy solution with a brush at the connection point. If bubbles appear, there is a leak. Try tightening the tank connection. If that does not stop the leak, close the gas valve and have the grill repaired by a qualified professional.
• Make sure the grill is clean. Regularly cleaning the grill, as described in the owner’s manual, and also cleaning the grease trap, will reduce the risk of flare-ups and grease fires.
• Only use grills outside in a well-ventilated area. Never use a grill indoors, in a garage, breezeway, carport, porch, next to your home or under a surface that will burn.
Gas and charcoal grills present a risk of fire and/or carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning that could result in injury or death. Thousands of gas or charcoal grill-related injuries are reported in hospital emergency departments each year. While most of the injuries are burns, a few of the charcoal grill injuries are often related to carbon monoxide.
Once the grill’s lit:
• Keep the grill hoses as far away as possible from hot surfaces and dripping hot grease.
• Never leave a grill unattended. If a flare-up occurs, adjust the controls on the gas grill or spread out the coals on a charcoal grill to lower the temperature. If a grease fire occurs, turn off the gas grill and use baking soda and/or a kitchen fire extinguisher to put out the fire.
• Keep children away from the grill area. The outside surface of a grill can get hot and burn when touched.
Courtesy: The New York State Division of Consumer Protection