WEST WINFIELD, N.Y. - After many years of service, the Great American grocery store in West Winfield is set to close at the end of February.
The village is home to just under 900 people. The Great American is the only local grocery store in the area. Neighbors are now concerned about where they will get their groceries.
According to the current owners of the building, the store is closing because of financial reasons. The owners tried to hang on to it for as long as they could, but were forced to close.
"It’s just a shame to see the store close. When I was a kid this was the Victory Market, and now they’re going to close up shop. I mean there's elderly people in the town that can't leave this town, so I don't know what we're going to do," said village resident John Terns.
The village board held a meeting at the library Monday night to discuss the closure with the community. Mayor Andrew Bryce spoke with the new owners of the building, saying a Dollar General may soon set up shop within the building.
"There is a confidentiality agreement, so they are limited on what they are able to tell us. But we are led to believe that they are coming and they are looking for permits. They have submitted plans so it’s looking like its well underway," said Bryce.
The Dollar General that is said to be opening will be a Dollar General Plus. The difference is, the Dollar General Plus serves as more of a market than a traditional dollar store. But some residents aren't satisfied.
"No, I checked into that. It’s just another dollar store. They're not going to have the meats that we carry," said Great American employee Susan Welch.
The building will go under a four-month renovation. During that time, West Winfield will be without a grocery store.
A plan was brought up at the meeting for a bus to shuttle residents to the Price Chopper in Richfield Springs, which is located about 20 minutes away.
The Great American is scheduled to close down on February 28.
- West Winfield mayor says Dollar General likely to replace Great American
- Great American in West Winfield closing this month
- West Winfield remembers 9-11
- Fire Destroys West Winfield Home
- West Winfield run/walk for veterans
- Mug Club: West Winfield Fireman's Field Days
- Fire crews respond to house fire in West Winfield
- Boilermaker 2018 - A story of perseverance for West Winfield man
- Mug Club: West Winfield Fire Department's Fireman's Field Days
- Mug Club:The Great American Irish Festival