UTICA, N.Y. – On Friday, Oneida County Executive Anthony Picente said several area stores will be receiving warnings after the sheriff’s office found them in continuous violation of local and state executive orders regarding face coverings.
“We start with a warning, as we said, for not enforcing the mask order. There are numerous businesses that are allowing customers to shop without masks on,” said Picente.
Deputies do spot-check visits at various locations to ensure businesses are complying with state mandates.
Picente said the businesses have already received informal warnings after initial complaints about people not wearing masks, and the lack of social distancing enforcement.
After doing 33 recent checks, six locations were found to be repeat violators, and will receive written warnings from the Oneida County Health Department:
- Hannaford, 4593 Commercial Dr. in New Hartford
- Dollar Tree, 4583 Commercial Dr. in New Hartford
- Walmart, 4765 Commercial Dr. in New Hartford
- Ollie’s Bargain Outlet, in New Hartford Shopping Center
- Walmart, 5815 Rome-Taberg Road in Rome
- Price Chopper, 1790 Black River Blvd. in Rome
Picente said the county received 23 complaints over the weekend to Mohawk Valley Crime Stoppers regarding people not wearing face coverings in public, no social distancing at businesses and large gatherings.