Spring can be fleeting this time of year. While we've enjoyed a few mild days with sunshine, the weather can change on a dime. Yesterday's warm start followed by strong winds and chilly weather is a perfect example. The next weather system that follows brings a wintry mix to the region on Friday.
The culprit is a warm front, a push of warmer weather is actually going to bring a taste of winter. This is because the precipitation falls *ahead* of the warmer air. We expect to start out Friday morning dry, but by the late morning a round of snow is expected to arrive. With surface temperatures near or above freezing, the snow will have a very hard time sticking to the lower elevations. The hilltops are expected to see some accumulation, but even here, it will be difficult. The snow briefly turns to sleet before turning to plain rain by the afternoon.
The weather does warm up as we head into the weekend. Temperatures on Saturday look to climb into the 50s, with highs in the 60s on Sunday.
- A brief wintry mix expected Friday
- Wintry mix tonight
- Tracking a wintry mix early Friday morning
- Wintry mix continues for spots Monday night
- A wintry mix on the way for Wednesday
- Wintry mix on the way for Wednesday night
- Winter storm expected Friday...
- Accumulating snow expected Friday
- Snow and ice expected Friday
- Recipe: Avalanche Cookie's mix your childhood favorites