GLOVERSVILLE- The city of Gloversville and several other community members dedicated a memorial to two brothers who died in the limo crash on October 6.
Eric Steenburg, from Gloversville, lost two of his brothers Richard and Axel and his sister-in-law Amy. He told NEWSChannel 2 on Monday that he knew almost everyone else in the limo.
He said he had just completed his work shift that day, and was on his way home when he got a call from his mother. "She asked me to come to Rich's house because there was a family emergency."He says when he got there, a detective from the Fulton County Sheriff's Department was there. "He explained to me that Axel and Rich, and Amy and multiple other people had passed away in Schoharie."
They were celebrating a 30th birthday at the time. "It felt like a really bad nightmare, and it still doesn't feel real. I was in shock for a while and so was the rest of the family," said Eric
Eric describes his brothers as perfect role models. "Axel and Rich were both the best brothers I could ever ask for. We always hung out together, we always did everything together." He said they would even throw a football at Myers Park in Gloversville.
Axel and Rich spent a lot of time at Myers park, so the city of Gloversville dedicated a memorial to them. Two trees, and two plaques that said Axel and Richard Steenburg.
Eric Steenburg said this is the prefect way to keep their memory alive."I mean this is something that's going to be up here forever and it makes me feel good. I feel like it's a better way to remember Axel and Rich." He said he wants the memorial to send a message. "You should always be there for one another and you should always be there with your families because you never know when the last time is going to be that you're going to talk to somebody."
Eric is currently a student at the Police Academy at MVCC. He said his goal is to finish and graduate because that's what his brother's would have wanted.
If you would like to donate to any of the families, some of the links are posted below:
Archer and Elle:
- A community dedicates a memorial to victims of the limo crash
- Utica woman's friend among victims in Schoharie limo crash
- Grand jury to oversee Schoharie limo crash
- Family of Schoharie limo crash victim to sue New York agencies
- 20 dead after limo crashes into Schoharie tourist spot
- Cuomo: Limo that crashed in Schoharie failed state inspection
- Officials provide update on fatal Schoharie limo crash
- NTSB says no apparent skid marks after fatal limo crash
- Schoharie crash driver's family believes limo was not roadworthy
- Lawsuit filed against operators of limo in fatal NY crash