HERKIMER, N.Y. -- A total of 100 firefighters from multiple departments fought those two fires, at two Herkimer businesses Wednesday.
NewsChannel 2's Joleen Ferris has more on the kind of day for which you really can't prepare.
Wednesday evening, firefighters were back at the Altrux fire on Route 28, putting out hot spots – it’s a day firefighters won't soon forget.
A fire broke out at neighborhood bar, the Ole V.I., on South Washington Street, in Herkimer, around 8:17 a.m. Wednesday.
The building was lit up in orange from within, by the flames firefighters from multiple departments fought so desperately to extinguish.
As firefighters still struggled with this fire, another broke out at Altrux, a heavy equipment repair shot on Route 28 in the town of Herkimer.
There were other challenges, too, once firefighters got on the scene they realized the structure of the building was made of steel – making it difficult to open and vent the roof.
The causes of both fires are under investigation, and state fire investigators were at both scenes.
- A day you can't prepare for: 100 firefighters knock down Herkimer business fires
- Local manufactures talk business at Herkimer College
- Rome Rescue Mission prepares for two straight busy days
- Meals of Hope: 50,000 meals prepared for Oneida, Herkimer counties
- Election Day 2017: Herkimer County races
- Several people displaced by Herkimer fire
- Home in Herkimer destroyed following devastating fire
- Herkimer residents get a lesson in history at program showcasing 100 year old photos
- Genesis Group holds career day for Herkimer County students
- Herkimer County Board of Elections extending hours for several days