Happy New Year! The official low on New Year's morning was -22 degrees, shattering the record low temperature of -10 set back in 1970. We tied the record lowest high for the day, of 8 (the high happened near midnight). We are up to 7 days and counting of days with temperatures starting out below zero. We have a total of 9 for the winter so far.
Another arctic outbreak is in the forecast and this one could be colder than the last two! The catalyist that brings the cold is a powerful nor'easter heading off the coast. Our forecast models are all on board with keeping the storm to our east, but we'll continue to monitor the situation for any last minute changes. At this point, light snow is likely on Thursday, followed by lake effect snow Thursday night and Friday.
The air behind this storm is brutal. Highs are expected to be near zero on Friday and may not climb above zero on Saturday. Overnight lows will highly depend on the wind - if winds lighten up, most areas will drop into the -20s.
This looks to be the last arctic outbreak for now, as the weather is expected to moderate as we head into next week.
- A short break before the frigid weather returns
- Frigid weather causing dozens of local water main breaks
- Frigid end to 2017
- CNY SPCA investigators respond to more calls in frigid weather
- Unsettled weather returns
- EpiPens in short supply
- Local shelters open doors to everyone in frigid temperatures
- Rome Rescue Mission 300 turkeys short
- The pattern breaks!
- Snow returns Thursday night