We have been very dry for Central New York with only 1.04 inches of rain so far for the month of July. Things are about to change as our 7 day forecast is showing rain showers and thunderstorms from Sunday through Thursday.
Our jet stream right now is set up so that our area is in the left exit region on a trough axis. This is allowing for a Low pressure system that is currently at the North Carolina/ Virginia border to bring humid, tropical like air to the region on Sunday. Although we won't see much of a difference in high temperatures, dew points are going to rise into the upper 60s and 70s making it feel very humid and oppressive for the next few days. When we have conditions like this, it remains a possibility to see thunderstorms develop every afternoon.
Over the next few day the jet stream will retreat back and allow for another Low pressure system by the Ohio border to move into our area and bring some much needed relief in humidity and more rain showers. Right now we look to see an end in the rain by the time we get to next Friday.
- A wet week ahead
- Previewing the week ahead...
- Quiet, cold week ahead...
- Warm week ahead!
- Wet weekend, then summer returns
- USA's Linden wins wet, windy Boston Marathon
- Wet start but nice finish to weekend
- Heavy, wet snow hits the Mohawk Valley
- Undersheriff talks safety ahead of big holiday weekend and week ahead
- Significant pattern change ahead