A new poll released by AARP New York shows that for voters age 50 and older, Anthony Brindisi and Antonio Delgado hold leads over incumbents Claudia Tenney and John Faso for the 22nd and 19th Congressional District races.
According to the poll, which surveyed 610 registered voters in the 22nd Congressional District, Democratic candidate Anthony Brindisi has a lead of 48 percent among voters age 50 and older, compared to Republican Congresswoman Claudia Tenney’s 35 percent.
Among independent voters in that age range, 51 percent support Brindisi, while 29 percent support Tenney.
The report states that 75 percent of voters in the 22nd Congressional District worry often about how divided America and Americans have become, 93 percent think Medicare is very important for people’s health in retirement, and 88 percent believe Social Security is very important for financial security in retirement.
In the 19th Congressional District, 43 percent of voters age 50 and older support Democratic candidate Antonio Delgado, while 36 percent support Republican Congressman John Faso. The poll did not compare their favorability with Green Party candidate Steven Greenfield and independent candidate Diane Neal, who will also be on the ballot in November.
The poll states that among independent voters in that age range, nearly 40 percent support Delgado, while 30 percent support Faso.
The poll also shows the voters age 50 and over are united across party lines in their concern about healthcare costs and the rise in prescription drug prices, as well as Social Security and Medicare.
“With five weeks to go before Election Day, candidates in New York would be wise to listen to the state’s most powerful voting group: 50-plus voters,” said AARP New York State Director Beth Finkel in a news release. “History shows older voters turn out in force, and AARP is seeking to ensure issues of particular importance to older voters are front and center – issue like Medicare, Social Security, prescription drug costs, and family caregiving.”
To view the full poll report, click here.
- AARP poll shows Brindisi, Delgado leading over Tenney, Faso with older voters
- Zogby Analytics poll shows Brindisi with lead over Tenney
- Delgado ousts GOP's Faso in 19th Congressional District race
- Tenney votes 'yes,' Faso votes 'no' to House tax bill
- Reps. Tenney and Faso react to Trump's meeting with Putin
- New poll shows Tenney, Brindisi neck and neck in Congressional race
- Tenney, Brindisi respond to Dodd-Frank rollbacks
- Brindisi, Tenney, to work together in transition
- Brindisi nay, Delgado yea on War Powers Resolution vote