ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) - Police say a 14-year-old Rochester girl who was abducted by a 41-year-old man has been found safe in New York City.
The Rochester Police Department canceled an Amber Alert for Joanna Coates early Tuesday afternoon after she and Robert Gonzalez were found in Brooklyn.
Police issued the alert Monday night, saying the teen was abducted last Saturday night from near her home in the upstate city.
Authorities said the circumstances of her abduction could put her at risk of serious harm or death.
Police say Gonzalez, an ex-convict who lives in the girl's neighborhood, is in custody of the New York Police Department. Officials say he'll be charged with kidnapping when returned to Rochester.
The girl's mother, Linda Hollaert, says her daughter is being treated at a Manhattan hospital before being brought back to Rochester.
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Missing Rochester 14-year-old girl found, Amber Alert canceled
- Amber Alert canceled; missing 14-year-old girl found safe
- Amber Alert for Ogdensburg teen cancelled
- UPDATE: AMBER Alert canceled for 12-year-old Washington County girl
- Amber Alert cancelled for missing toddler, search continues
- UPDATE: Missing baby from Amber Alert found safe
- Amber Alert for 14-month-old toddler after mother's body found
- 14-year-old missing in Rome found safe, returned home
- Update: Missing Herkimer Girl Found Safe
- UPDATE: Missing Rochester area man found safe after Remsen search