The Utica Comets dug themselves out of a 3-0 hole to come away with a 5-4 overtime win over the Cleveland Monsters Sunday night at the Adirondack Bank Center. Jaime Sifers, Reid Boucher, Brendan Gaunce, Tanner Kero, and Tom Pyatt all scored for Utica. Michael Leighton finished with 25 saves in the win.
Doyle Somerby struck first for Cleveland with a seeing-eye shot that found its way past Leighton. Cleveland peppered the Comets in the opening frame, throwing 19 shots on net but Leighton and the Comets defense held strong heading into the first intermission.
Somerby struck again 32 seconds into the second period after a Comets’ defensive zone turnover. Kevin Stenlund pushed the lead to 3-0 with 3:35 to play in the middle frame. Sifers got the Comets on the board with 1:49 to go in the period when his point shot found a way through Monsters goalie Jean-Francois Berube. Kole Lind and Wacey Hamilton tallied the assists.
Boucher brought the Comets back within one with a power play goal halfway through the final frame. Tanner Kero had the assist. Gaunce fired at wrister past Berube to tie the game at three 1:13 later. Kero poked home a loose puck a minute after Gaunce’s goal to give Utica their first lead of the night. Sam Vigneault quickly responded to tie the game at four at the 13:00 mark. The teams battled hard down the stretch but were unable to find the net and the game would head to overtime.
Pyatt potted the rebound off a Gaunce shot in overtime to give the Comets the win with only 35 seconds left on the clock.
The Comets return to home ice Friday night against the Rochester Americans. Puck drop at the Adirondack Bank Center is at 7 p.m.
- After flat opening period, Comets claw their way back to defeat Monsters in overtime
- Comets Fall to Binghamton in Overtime
- Comets win wild one against Penguins in overtime
- Comets close out regular season with overtime victory
- Darcy's backhander lifts Comets to victory in overtime against Penguins
- Comets fall to Amerks after pair of third period goals
- Crunch sink Comets with three-goal first period
- Comets score four in second period barrage to earn season opening win against Devils
- Mug Club: Burlington Flats Harvest Fest
- Comets fall to Marlies in season opener