After 45 years as the head coach of his alma mater, the winningest football coach in Section III football history, Tom Schoen, announced his retirement this weekend.
Schoen led the Whitesboro Warriors to three consecutive Class A Championships and reached the state semifinals in back-to-back seasons.
This past year, Whitesboro won a league title and qualified for the section playoffs for the 28th straight year.
Schoen certainly leaves behind quite the legacy. He's coached the Warriors to 16 league titles and 11 Section III Championships. His warriors won five central region titles.
Schoen said the decision wasn't easy and it was an emotional one.
"I don’t think it’s a decision that comes about quickly or as easily after this amount of time,"" said Schoen. "You just think about it for a while. I know I wasn’t going to make any announcements or final decision during the season and banquet time. Then I decided I wasn’t going to do anything to affect anybody’s holidays so after the first of the year when the kids got back to school, I made the decision.
The best thing I can tell you, it’s been very emotional. I’ve got former players in their 40s, 50s, and 60s and to hear from those guys, it’s emotional for me.
I grew up in Whitesboro and played at Whitesboro. So Whitesboro has been in my blood before I even came back. It just grew to be a relationship with me in the community and the community has treated me very well, the administration has treated me well. It’s a tough place to coach. They want good football. If you give them good football, they’ve treated me very well so I don’t have any regrets. I know is the fastest 45 years I could’ve ever imagined."
- After nearly half a century at Whitesboro, legendary coach says it's time to retire
- Retired Whitesboro fire chief nationally recognized
- Whitesboro Police Chief Dominick Hiffa retires
- Veterans Recognized in Whitesboro
- Whitesboro Street Demolition
- Like father, like son. Special scrimmage to honor a legendary coach
- Whitesboro Police Investigate YouCaring Scam
- Flood relief for Whitesboro residents
- Cancer survivors honored in Whitesboro
- Legendary great white shark filmed swimming with divers off Hawaii