COLD BROOK -- A local boy was honored, Thursday, at the American Legion Post 1118 in Cold Brook.
Mathew Anderson was recognized for rescuing his brother from a fire in Poland last year.
The fire broke out at his grandparents’ house in the middle of the night. Anderson says thick smoke filled the house.
Family members called for Anderson’s 10-year-old brother, but he didn't respond. That’s when Anderson made the brave decision to find him.
Anderson’s father, Mathew Bienick, says he is honored that his son was recognized.
"You know this is, like I said, a great honor and he's worthy of it but I’m proud of him every day he's done things his whole life that give me plenty of reasons to be proud," Bienick said.
Anderson says he doesn't feel like a hero, but that he did what he felt was necessary.
- American Legion Post 1118 honored a local boy for rescuing his brother from Poland fire
- Two Utica Police officers honored by American Legion Post 229
- Fire destroys Poland mobile home
- Garage Fire in Poland is under investigation
- Mug Club: Clonan American Legion Auxiliary Craft Fair
- Mug Club: Sip & Paint at the New Hartford American Legion
- Feed Our Vets gets $1,000 check from New Hartford American Legion
- Local Vietnam veteran recently honored with twin brother dies at age 68
- Poland High School students, parents express safety concerns
- Poland seniors, first-graders participate in Indoor Heart Walk