UTICA, N.Y.- Thursday night was a special night for the Utica Fire Department as first responders were recognized for their service recently, and in one case more than four decades.
The American Legion Post #229 on Herkimer Road in Utica hosted their EMT and Firefighter awards dinner.
Among the honorees were firefighters of the year Ehser Kanyaw and Lt. William Scherer. The EMT of the year award was presented to Richard Nower.
Former Utica Fire Chief Russell Brooks was honored for his 43 years of service to the department.
"It's a great event for their families, and we certainly like to recognize our guys, I think it’s important. They look at it as their job they don't consider themselves heroes. These guys on a daily basis do important things and it's important to be recognized." says Utica Assistant Fire Chief James Noon.
Family members of those honored were invited to attend, and were able to enjoy dinner with the honorees.
- American Legion Post #229 hosts EMT and Firefighter of the year awards Dinner
- Two Utica Police officers honored by American Legion Post 229
- A celebration for the 100th Anniversary of the American Legion Utica Post 229
- Ilion American Legion Post giving out school supplies
- Oneida County hosts Youth Awards Dinner
- Oneida County hosts youth awards dinner
- Utica Fire Department honor EMT, Firefighter of the Year
- 5th annual Spay-ghetti dinner held at Mohawk Legion
- Deadline Friday to apply for Utica's Firefighter-EMT exam