NEW HARTFORD, NY -- Wednesday and Thursday, there will be fire flow hydrant testing in the town of New Hartford.
The testing will be done by the Insurance Services Office and the Mohawk Valley Water Authority. It starts at 7:30a.m. and should wrap up around 3:30p.m.
Due to higher than normal flows, this testing may cause discoloration to your water.
So here's what you need to watch for during those hours. Don't do your laundry or use hot water if the cold water is discolored because these uses might draw discolored water and rust sediments into your hot water tank.
Water authority maintenance crews will flush the mains after they're done. This may continue into Thursday.
Customers in and around New Hartford, Washington Mills, Chadwicks and Willowvale, should also check their water for discoloration.
Results of these tests, along with the rating earned by the fire department, will help determine the fire insurance premiums for commercial and residential properties. In case of bad weather, testing may be rescheduled to Thursday instead.
- Some Ilion residents may experience discolored water during hydrant draining
- Ilion water project to address water main breaks and discoloration
- Ilion Water: Meeting Monday Night, Discoloration Monday Morning
- Barneveld residents may experience water issues during hydrant flushing
- Newport residents may experience water issues during hydrant flushing
- Rome residents could experience water issues during hydrant flushing
- Ilion residents may have discolored water as wells are flushed, shut down