FRANKFORT, NY – It’s Christmas in the Mohawk Valley once again.
For some local families though it will not be a very merry one.
Some local teachers from the Frankfort-Schuyler school system decided to do something about that Tuesday.
They donated numerous toys to the Herkimer County Marine Corps League.
These toys will then be distributed to less fortunate families in the area.
Frankfort-Schuyler Teachers Association Union President Bruce Race says they’ve noticed a number of needy families in the area and decided to step up and help out.
“That’s a wonderful experience for anybody to be able to give back to the community, and that’s what teachers do all the time. We’ll see a kid who needs something and there’s always something in our drawer that we can pull out and give to them and make sure they have enough during the school year. This is a special time where we decided to step up and give a little more.”
Besides donating the toys, the teachers union also donated blankets to area nursing homes and Christmas dinners, through Catholic Charities, to two needy families.
- Area teachers step up for local families in need this holiday season
- The holiday season impacts local business owning-moms
- Early Flu season locally
- NewsTalk: Good reads this holiday season
- How to travel smart this Holiday season.
- NY State Police to step up patrols over holiday weekend
- Two Rome charity drives team up for 2017 holiday season
- Most holiday tree farms open for the season
- Stuff the Bus in full swing this holiday season
- Festival of Lights kicks off holiday season in Herkimer