UTICA, N.Y. -- A Utica City Court judge has issued an arrest warrant for Oneida County's former STOP DWI coordinator, who was scheduled for a 'virtual arraignment' Wednesday morning.
Oneida County's former STOP DWI coordinator, Tom Giruzzi, is charged with DWI-drugs after an Oneida County sheriff's deputy pulled Giruzzi over in Utica back in March and allegedly found cocaine in his car.
Giruzzi is currently in a treatment facility in Florida. He was supposed to have a virtual arraignment Wednesday and plead not guilty to all charges, but his attorney was unable to coordinate a video conference type connection, and asked to do the arraignment on a conference call-audio only. The judge said no, and issued an arrest warrant for Giruzzi.
“If he pulls out of the rehab, he will lose that bed. All of the money that he has spent, personal money out of his pocket to get the treatment he's needed will be lost. He will no longer have the bed down there and he will have to try and re-enroll,” said
This warrant doesn't necessarily mean Giruzzi will be pulled out of rehab in Florida, arrested and brought back to Central New York before his treatment is over on June 28.
The court would now have to enforce the warrant and dispatch police or marshals to go pick him up in Florida.
- Arrest warrant issued for former Oneida County STOP DWI coordinator
- Oneida County STOP DWI coordinator fired following DWI-Drugs arrest
- Former Oneida County STOP DWI coordinator back in court
- Former probation director named Oneida County's interim STOP DWI coordinator following Giruzzi arrest
- NewsTalk: Decrease in Oneida County DWI incidents
- Former STOP DWI coordinator in treatment, misses court date in Utica
- Oneida County STOP-DWI program thanks local law enforcement at annual breakfast
- Travel advisories issued in Oneida, Otsego counties
- Travel advisory issued in Oneida County
- Travel Advisory issued for Oneida County