UTICA, N.Y. - Authorities say they seized thousands of illegal fireworks from a former deli on Rutger Street in East Utica Friday evening.
Director of Oneida County Emergency Services, Kevin Revere says his agency was called upon to help the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control. The Utica Police and Utica Fire Departments were also assisting during the raid around 6:30 p.m.
Revere says they hauled out numerous boxes of fireworks. He says often times the fireworks are sold to unsuspecting customers, who think they are purchasing legal fireworks.
He says officials have yet to arrest anyone. They're still investigating.
The fireworks are considered evidence right now, but will eventually be destroyed.
- Authorities seize Illegal fireworks in East Utica Raid
- Legal vs. illegal fireworks
- Fireworks options
- Utica Fire Department responds to East Utica for afternoon fire
- 2 Utica men accused of illegally possessing handgun
- Ava woman accused of driving unlicensed with illegal fireworks, drug materials
- Elderly east Utica man interrupts burglary, is attacked
- Crews respond to small fire at East Utica Warehouse
- The East Utica Neighborhood Watch tours 'The Bleecker'
- Fireworks safety: Don't blow it!