UTICA, N.Y. - Authorities say they seized thousands of illegal fireworks from a former deli on Rutger Street in East Utica Friday evening.
Director of Oneida County Emergency Services, Kevin Revere says his agency was called upon to help the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control. The Utica Police and Utica Fire Departments were also assisting during the raid around 6:30 p.m.
Revere says they hauled out numerous boxes of fireworks. He says often times the fireworks are sold to unsuspecting customers, who think they are purchasing legal fireworks.
He says officials have yet to arrest anyone. They're still investigating.
The fireworks are considered evidence right now, but will eventually be destroyed.
- Authorities seize Illegal fireworks in East Utica Raid
- Legal vs. illegal fireworks
- Quarantine lifted on animals seized in Whispering Pines raid
- Fireworks options
- Crews respond to fire in East Utica
- Utica Fire Department responds to East Utica for afternoon fire
- Utica Municipal Housing Authority secures grant
- Ava woman accused of driving unlicensed with illegal fireworks, drug materials
- 2 Utica men accused of illegally possessing handgun
- Elderly east Utica man interrupts burglary, is attacked