Utica, N.Y. - He may not show up on the scoresheet every night, but he has an impact on a nightly basis in the lineup. After missing 28 games due to injury, Comets captain, Carter Bancks, returns to the lineup over the weekend after practicing throughout this week.
Banks has been sidelined since December with what the team says was a lower body injury. Prior to the injury, Bancks was having a decent offensive season with 13 points in 32 games.
His real impact though comes off the scoresheet, through the leadership he brings both on and off the ice.
"You get our captain back, that’s huge. There’s a reason he’s our captain, our leader," said Comets goalie, Richard Bachman. "To have him out there it’s good to see him after the long recovery he had."
Bancks himself is excited to be back, he said that being apart from the team and having to watch from the stands is especially hard to deal with.
He said that he's spent a lot of his time inside at home reading books and spending time with roommates in order to pass the time he'd otherwise be on the road with the team, or preparing for games.
What he is most excited for is no surprise.
"Just the playing. Getting back in the rhythm, helping the team out in any way I can," he said. "Just trying to contribute and help us as we push toward the end of the season and in the playoffs."
Bancks and the Comets begin a three-in-three weekend at home on Friday night when they take on the Laval Rocket.
Puck drop is at 7 p.m.
Ashton Sautner signed a two-year, two-way contract extension on March 8, and spoke about the deal on Wednesday at the Adirondack Bank Center.
For more on both Bancks and Sautner, click on the video above!
- Bancks' return could provide Comets boost they need
- The Bulldog returns: Canucks assign Biega to the Comets
- Demko returns from injury, Comets ground Rocket with 3-2 win
- Marlies overpower Comets at home
- Comets fall to Rocket 4-2
- Comets excited for upcoming season
- Comets' streak halted by Devils
- Comets announce preseason roster with many returning players and unique local flavor
- Utica Comets announce 2017 preseason schedule
- Comets announce 2017-18 preseason training camp roster