DANUBE, N.Y. -- Firefighters from several departments responded to a barn fire in Herkimer County Thursday night.
The fire broke out around 9:15 p.m. along Johnny Cake Road.
Officials say three pigs and two turkeys were killed in the fire.
It was a small barn, and fire officials say it has been destroyed.
"Luckily weather was not too bad tonight so that did not hamper our efforts. We had a great response from our department as well as mutual aid departments tonight. I was the first chief on scene and as I came around the corner, the very large pig was in the middle of the road, kind of surprised me so I had to advise the other responding units that there were some livestock in the road loose,” said Shannon Countryman, St. Johnsville’s assistant fire chief.
The cause is still under investigation, but no one was reported to be injured.
- Three pigs, two turkeys killed in Herkimer County barn fire
- Livestock killed in Little Falls barn fire
- 56 cows killed in Leyden barn fire
- Several cows killed in Lewis County barn fire
- Fire destroys barn in Plainfield
- Shell of Otsego County barn remains following fire
- Fires destroy two garages, a barn in Lewis County
- Van Hornesville barn destroyed by fire overnight
- UPDATE: Barn fire in Frankfort deemed accidental
- Fire sparks at pole barn in Verona