Training is in full swing for the Utica Roadrunners as the excitement builds around "America's Greatest 15K."
"It's a nice undulating course, plenty of hills, downhills," said runner Josh Belisle. "Not a flat, boring course. The fans here are absolutely incredible. I've done a lot of big races and you don't find this type of crowd really anywhere."
"I think the reason that you get drawn to the race is because the course is a challenging course," said Bill Luley. "There's enough hills and the crowd is just fantastic. I mean when you think you can't do anymore, the crowd just encourages you on."
Even if you're new to running, you can still enjoy what the Boilermaker has to offer.
"I would definitely say train hills because of the beginning but The Boilermaker is a great race because the crowd gets you pumped up," said Laurie Hennessy. "You're gonna be running with a lot of other people."
"It's a fun thing to do, you don't have to set course records you just have to go out and enjoy it. There's lots of opportunities to train for it," added Luley.
The 5K is sold out but there are still about 500 bibs left in the 15K race. It is unusual to have that many openings this late in the game and a contributing factor might be that it's so close to a holiday weekend. But despite that, organizers said they're not worried.
"Simple history lesson will show that just a couple years ago, we're actually ahead of where we were in 2011, for example, so there's really no concern on our part whatsoever," said Boilermake Marketing Specialist Jordan Peters. "We see these kind of peaks and valleys happen in the running industry. We've talked to other races across the country and everybody is going through it."
"We didn't have much of a spring this year either so I don't blame people for being a little behind the 8 ball," said Belisle. "I'm sure they'll fill all those spots by June 15."
You can register for the Boilmaker Road Race here.
- Bibs still available for Boilermaker 15K; officials still confident it will sell out
- Boilermaker announces 2018 Charity Bib partners
- Boilermaker 15K registration closes out
- Boilermaker 15k officially capped, closing 2019 road race
- Boilermaker 5K, 15K & wheelchair race top finishers
- Mudfest sponsors refugees in Boilermaker's Charity Bib program
- Applications being accepted for Boilermaker Charity Bib non-profits
- 74 honored at 2019 Boilermaker Charity Bib Reception
- Silas Kipruto of Kenya wins 2017 Boilermaker 15K
- Racers on their way in 40th annual Boilermaker 15K