UTICA - Omar Ortiz, the man accused of shooting a Utica man to death on Bleecker Street this past June, was arraigned Wednesday morning in Oneida County Court.
Ortiz is charged with second degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon in the shooting death of 25-year-old Deon Williams. It is believed Ortiz was living in Utica at the time of the shooting.
Pennsylvania authorities arrested the 35-year-old Ortiz and alerted law enforcement here in New York they had taken him into custody. He had been held in an Erie, Pennsylvania jail since June.
Police say Ortiz committed additional crimes while across state lines.
“Next step from here, we head back to court. He'll decide what route he would like to take in the case, if he would like to have a trial. Then we will have motions, which is essentially paperwork filed by his attorney, and then if the case can't be resolved we will go to trial, said Oneida County Assistant District Attorney Michael Nolan Wednesday morning.
The district attorney's office made a plea offer to Ortiz, who is scheduled to return to court on November 20th.
- Bleecker Street fatal shooting suspect arraigned on murder charge
- Bleecker Street fatal shooting suspect to be arraigned
- Utica Police: Bleecker Street homicide suspect arrested in Pennsylvania
- UPDATE: Utica police ID man killed in Bleecker Street shooting
- 2 facing felony drug charges following Bleecker Street search
- UPDATE: Robert Coffin arraigned on second-degree murder charge
- Man accused of killing girlfriend arraigned on murder charge
- Former Texas police chief arraigned on murder charges in NY
- Apartments unveiled at newly renovated Bleecker Street building
- Former GE building, lot on Bleecker Street sold for $400K