ROME, N.Y. -- The American Red Cross is experiencing an urgent need for blood donations.
Blood donations traditionally drop this time of the year due to illness, people going away for the holidays, and the weather.
January is Blood Donor Month, and if you donate this month there's some additional incentives being offered.
The Red Cross held a blood drive Wednesday in Rome.
Officials say donating blood is easy and only takes about an hour.
“You never know when someone you love might be facing the need for blood, and so that's why it's so important to make sure that we have that reliable supply on the shelves. Every blood donation can save up to 3 lives, so you can be a hero for a family in under an hour,” said American Red Cross Executive Director Mallory Brown.
T-shirts or Dunkin’ gift cards are being given away to donors.
To see where you can donate to a local blood drive, simply enter your zip code on redcrossblood.org and it will pinpoint exactly where you can go.
- Blood Donor Month: Red Cross in urgent need of blood donations
- American Red Cross offering gift cards to blood donors
- American Red Cross: ‘emergency need for blood‘
- American Red Cross asking for donations amid blood shortage
- American Red Cross in dire need of blood donations
- Emergency shortage: Red Cross in dire need of blood donations
- Blood shortage
- 'Missing letters' encourage blood donation
- Blood drive at Herkimer College highlights urgent need for donations
- American Red Cross still facing emergency blood shortage