KIRKLAND- Councilmembers with the Town of Kirkland voted in favor of keeping the gun show at the Clinton Arena, despite the petitions going around.
Monday nights meeting was full of residents who were in favor of the gun show, while one woman who signed the petition was the only one who spoke up when the supervisor opened the floor to questions.
Supervisor, Robert J. Meelan, opened the discussion with a statement from the board. Residents started asking questions after that.
One man asked, "has there ever been any violence at the shows?". Another man who has worked at the shows the past several years said, "no."
There was one woman who signed one of the petitions, said she was afraid of having the gun show down the street from Clinton Central Schools because it could cause anxiety for some of the students. She also said she felt there should have been more discussion between the town and those who opposed the show, before they decided to vote.
Councilmember, Garry Colarusso said this meeting was a moment for residents to express their opinions on the topic."So there's a mood in this community to have this addressed for the people who had a strong opinion against having the gun show here." He added, "they had their opportunities and unfortunately they didn't take them tonight. It's your government, it's not a spectator sport. If you want to be involved, you have to be here," he said.
The show is scheduled to happen at the Clinton Arena June 8, 9, and 10.
- Board votes to have gun show at Clinton Arena
- Gun show at Clinton Arena cancelled
- Could petitioners persuade the Kirkland Town Board to move NEACA Gun Show from Clinton Arena?
- Residents voice their concerns over gun show at Clinton Arena, again!
- 68th annual Fantasy on Ice at the Clinton Arena
- Sen. Valesky visits Clinton Arena to announce completion of upgrades
- Clinton Arena in top 4 for chance to become next Kraft Hockeyville
- Kirkland officials confirm NHL preseason game will be at Clinton Arena
- How to win tickets to the NHL preseason game at Clinton Arena