Photo Gallery 1 Images
Between the Fitness Mill Health and Wellness Expo, road closures for race day, shuttles to the start line, the post-race party and more, there’s a lot of Boilermaker information to take in.
Here’s everything you need to know to prepare for Boilermaker weekend:
FITNESS MILL HEALTH AND WELLNESS EXPO
The Expo will be held 12-7 p.m. Friday, July 6, and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday, July 7. It’s located inside the Jorgensen Athletic Center at MVCC in Utica, and it also includes outdoor activities and vendors.
Runners will pick up their 5K and 15K race bibs inside the gym, and then pick up their commemorative glass and program book in the Jorgensen Center. There will be more than 100 vendors at the Expo, along with an area where attendees can purchase official Boilermaker gear.
Also taking place at the Expo is registration for the Utica National Kids’ Run, from 12-3 p.m. The run will take place 8:15-10 a.m. Saturday at MVCC.
For more information about the Kids’ Run, click here.
RACE START TIMES/LOCATIONS
Sitrin Wheelchair 15K: 7:45 a.m. on Culver Avenue near Beechgrove Place
5K: 7:15 a.m. at the Burrstone Road Bridge, near the Faxton Campus of Faxton-St. Luke’s Healthcare
15K: 8 a.m. on Culver Avenue near Beechgrove Place. Runners will gather near ECR International at 2201 Dwyer Ave. until the race begins.
Free shuttle buses will be available to take 15K runners to the start line near ECR International, and the buses will only run from 6-7 a.m. Runners are encouraged to arrive early to use the shuttle service.
Shuttle buses will be located near the finish line at the corner of Court Street and State Street, and near the back of the post-race party area on Whitesboro Street.
For the 5K race, runners can park at Con-Med on Chenango Road at French Road, then ride the shuttle to the 5K Start. This shuttle will run from 6-6:45 a.m.
Buses will also be available after the race to take 5K and 15K runners back to the 5K and 15K start lines. The shuttle buses will be located on Whitesboro Street, behind the post-race party, and they’ll run until 1 p.m.
According to the state Department of Transportation, road closures and traffic signal modifications on race will generally begin at 5:30 a.m. and end by 1 p.m. The following state roads will close to traffic:
- Route 5S ramps east and west to Culver Avenue
- Routes 5, 8, and 12 ramps north and south to Burrstone Road
- Burrstone Road between Champlin Avenue and Genesee Street
- Champlin Avenue between Oriskany Street and Burrstone Road
- Whitesboro Street between Oriskany Street and Champlin Avenue
- Routes 5, 8, and 12 ramp to Turner Road
According to Utica police, the following closures will also occur:
(Beginning at 5:30 a.m.)
- Dwyer Avenue (entire road)
- Beechgrove Place, from Gilbert Street to Florence Street
- Culver Avenue, from Bleecker Street north
- Burrstone Road, from Sunset Avenue to Old Burrstone Road
(Beginning at 2 a.m.)
- Court Street, from Schuyler Street to Fay Street
- Varick Street (entire road)
- Columbia Street, from Varick Street to Schuyler Street
- Whitesboro Street, from Lafayette Street to Schuyler Street
- Lafayette Street, west of Varick Street
GPS TRACKING FOR RUNNERS
If you’d like to track a runner’s progress throughout the 15K course, you can download the free RaceJoy mobile app and track up to 20 runners. Runners can only be tracked if they carry their phones with them while running, but runners are reminded that the use of headphones is still prohibited.
For more information about tracking runners and how to do it, click here.
SARANAC POST-RACE PARTY
The post-race party will be held 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., in the parking area outside F.X. Matt Brewing Co., located at 811 Edward St. in Utica.
Haus Lager will once again be the beer served at this year’s post-race party, and it is free for attendees of the party. Entertainment will include music by the local band Showtime, among others.
Food will include popsicles, fruit, cookies, yogurt and more.
If you’re unable to attend the Expo, you can pick up your commemorative glass and also purchase Boilermaker merchandise at the post-race party.
For more information about the Boilermaker Road Race, visit boilermaker.com.
- Boilermaker 101: Expo, parking, course maps & more
- Boilermaker weekend kicks off with Health and Wellness Expo
- City of Utica Monopoly unveiled at Boilermaker expo
- Boilermaker course logistics: bathrooms, water stations, maps and directions
- Paving in the Heat 101
- PHOTO GALLERIES: Boilermaker 2017
- Interactive Boilermaker Section
- Boilermaker 2018 forecast
- NewsTalk: Post-Boilermaker Nutrition
- Boilermaker 15K registration closes out