The Boonville Snow Festival was scheduled to run Feb 23rd thru the 25th, but has been postponed for two weeks. Organizers were worried freezing rain would have made it dangerous for the racers. Some of the sleds reach speeds of over 100 miles per hour.
Racer and Vice President Tony Pettinelli tells us the track is ready for racing, and postponing the race will likely make the event even bigger.
"If we get a little bit more snow we’ll have a lot more riders, trail riders that come in. It’s the end of the season. Everybody wants to get the last ride in, so hopefully we’ll have a lot more spectators than we normally do."
The weather is expected to be even better and with racing ending in other parts of the country, 3-4 new teams are expected to join the competition. Organizer Susan Alger believes that will help bring more people to the stands.
"We’ve had an average of anywhere from 2000 to 3000 spectators in the past. Hopefully we can exceed that, but if we get the 2000 to 3000 we’ll be very happy with that."
Karen Kapfer is the Owner of Freddy’s Diner. She's happy to see any events coming to the community, but she doesn’t expect to get much business from this event.
"If it was 20 below and they didn’t have warming places, you’re going to freeze and you’re going to come downtown just to get out of the elements for a while and then go back, but if you’re comfortable and everything’s given to you up there, then that’s where you want to be because you’re going to miss something that you would otherwise wouldn’t leave for."
Admission to the event is $15 for the day, $25 for both days, and children 12 and under are free with an accompanying adult. Registration is on March 9th, with a full day of racing on the 10th and 11th. Gates open at 9:00.
- Boonville Snowfest Postponed
- Megamillions ticket worth $3,000,000 sold in Boonville
- Boonville banners will honor North Country Veterans
- Boonville teen, Indiana woman win Boilermaker 5K
- SUV and car collide in Boonville crash
- Boonville pair arrested after meth lab discovery
- Boonville man charged after alleged physical dispute
- Kids Heart Challenge postponed
- Trump postpones meeting with Rosenstein
- Deputies: 3 illegal handguns found in search of Boonville home