BOONVILLE, N.Y. --- Five buildings containing multiple businesses and the homes of 15 residents were destroyed on Main Street after a devastating fire on Tuesday night.
All the residents living in the buildings made it out safely.
Crews battled the fire for hours until it was finally put out on Wednesday morning.
Residents of the village are in shock. "It’s so devastating to see that we have beautiful old buildings. These buildings were built in the 1800s and one by one our town is slowly going to have to remodel and rebuild," said Boonville Chamber of Commerce member Michelle Bartlotte.
One of the places that residents will remember the most was Slim's, an iconic restaurant that brought in a number of local customers.
"That was the place to go to eat breakfast in town. We lost two hairdressers, a craft store, we have another new store that was opening up a computer repair store that was definitely needed in this area. Slims has just been a staple in the community in this town for years. Not to mention all the apartments that shared space there also," Karen Gardner.
Fire crews came from as far Whitesboro to assist with the fire. Residents are calling the first responders heroes.
State fire investigators were on the scene searching for a cause of the fire.
The Boonville Fire Department tells NEWSChannel 2 that they believe the fire originated in the rear of one of the buildings.
- Boonville residents react to devastating fire
- Highlighting the importance of small local media after Boonville's devastating fire
- Boonville Snowfest Postponed
- Boonville community collecting donations for fire victims
- Police officer leads the way in rescuing residents of Boonville block fire
- Community devastated by fatal Rome fire
- Home in Herkimer destroyed following devastating fire
- Residents react to FEMA disaster assistance denial
- House fire slows traffic on Route 12 in Boonville
- Boonville mayor: Shelter available for those affected by fire