Utica, N.Y. - Reid Boucher scored a hat trick, getting over the 30 goal plateau with 31 this season, as the Utica Comets beat the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 8-1 at the Adirondack Bank Center, Friday.
In a highly emotional contest, there were seven fights with 14 combined fighting majors handed out.
The Comets got the scoring going in the first period when he shoveled a backhand shot past Penguins goaltender John Muse three minutes in. Wacey Hamilton and Lukas Jasek had the assists on the tally.
In the second, Reid Boucher scored 1:38 in to make it 2-0 off an assist from Brendan Gaunce. Three minutes later, Tom Pyatt netted a rebound on the power play to extend the lead to 3-0. Zack MacEwen and Tanner Kero had the helpers on Pyatt's marker.
10:58 into the middle frame, Boucher put in his second of the night and 30th of the season as he took advantage of a turnover in front of the net, deking Muse for the goal. Kero and Pyatt had the assists.
Lukas Jasek scored with a wrist shot from the left face-off dot and Kole Lind snapped a shot home from the slot to give Utica a 7-1 lead after 40 minutes of play.
There were five fights alone in the second.
In the third, fight night at The Aud continued as two skirmishes broke out within the first minute of the period. Jaime Sifers, playing in his final weekend before retiring from professional hockey, wristed a shot from the slot three minutes in for the final goal of the game.
Marek Mazanec made 24 saves in goal for the Comets.
Utica is back on the ice tomorrow night as they head to Pennsylvania to take on the Hershey Bears. Puck drop is at 7 p.m.
- Boucher's hat trick lead Comets in hard-fought game against the Penguins
- Boucher's hat trick lifts Comets to victory over North Division leading Americans
- Comets fought hard but fall to Marlies in overtime, Toronto leads series 1-0
- Comets win wild one against Penguins in overtime
- Darcy's backhander lifts Comets to victory in overtime against Penguins
- Boucher to represent Utica Comets in AHL All-Star Classic for second year in a row
- Comets' Reid Boucher helps North Division to 2019 AHL All-Star Challenge title
- Morrisville earns third straight NEAC title in hard fought win over SUNY Poly
- Parking information for Utica Comets game tonight
- Nilan Bielby pots hat trick for Mohawk Valley ice hockey in loss, Noah Lifgren leads Cooperstown boys basketball with double-double in win