WAPPINGER, N.Y. (AP) - State police say a 7-year-old boy has died in a fire that destroyed a house in upstate New York.
Troopers arrived at the burning home in the Dutchess County town of Wappinger shortly after a 911 call at 5:22 a.m. Friday and were told a child was inside. Police say officers went in without protective gear but couldn't find the child because of flames and smoke. Fire personnel used a ladder to enter a bedroom window and found the unconscious child.
The boy, identified as Sean Burlingame, was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. The other five people in the house were able to escape before the arrival of emergency personnel.
A trooper was treated for smoke inhalation. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Boy, 7, dies in upstate New York house fire
- Soldier from upstate New York dies in Afghanistan combat
- Upstate New York bobsledder headed to Olympics
- Jackpot elusive for 3 new upstate New York casinos
- Florida man jailed after fleeing police in upstate New York
- Invasive insect spotted twice in upstate New York
- Upstate New York remains gripped in bone-chilling cold
- 2 charged in upstate New York home invasion shooting
- Judge has fatal heart attack in upstate New York courtroom
- Legal sports betting begins in Upstate New York