Verona, NY - The Higginsville Road Bridge, in the Town of Verona, came down in a controlled collapse early Friday Morning. The State Department of Transportation reached out to NEWSChannel 2 Saturday Morning to say the structure has been removed from the Erie Canal and no longer poses a danger to boats. The canal has reopened after being shutdown Thursday afternoon.
The Higginsville Road Bridge has been closed to vehicular traffic since 2008. It was in the process of being demolished. A new bridge is scheduled to be in place by the end of 2020.
- Bridge removed, Canal Reopened
- Chicks Along the Canal
- Dolgeville bridge reopens after tractor-trailer crash
- Canal Corp. to host Frankfort meeting about canal trail project
- NY Canal Corporation working hard on Erie Canal winter maintenance
- Mug Club: Erie Canal Half
- Mug Club: Erie Canal Cruises
- Park trail reopened as loose rocks removed from cliffs
- Downtown Community Forum focuses on canal
- Local volunteer opportunities this weekend to clean up canal trails