UTICA - With just over 1,400 votes separating the candidates, Democrat Anthony Brindisi leads the 22nd Congressional District race against Republican Rep. Claudia Tenney.
With all of the precincts reporting, Brindisi received a total of 117,779 votes, while Tenney received 116,357 votes. Absentee ballots have not yet been counted, and they will not be tallied for at least another week. In the eight counties either fully or partially covered by the district, the various boards of elections report there are more than 16,000 absentee ballots yet to be counted. In Oneida County alone there are more than 5,300 absentee ballots that need to be counted, and more could be coming in.
“We'd like to thank the voters of this district, our supporters and volunteers for their hard work and dedication throughout this campaign. With over ten thousand absentee ballots left to count, this race is still too close to call. Over the next few days and weeks our team will participate in the re-canvass process and review the absentee ballots,” said Raychel Renna, Tenney's campaign manager.
Meanwhile, Brindisi may have jumped the gun early with a speech just after 11:00 p.m. Tuesday after several networks called the race in his favor. CBS was one network that did call the race in his favor, NBC did not.
Brindisi told the large crowd of supporters, with his family by his side on stage, that he was happy to be going to Washington to represent the people of this region.
NewsChannel 2 reached out to Brindisi's campaign for a comment about the race tightening after the last few districts came in and went highly in Tenney's favor - cutting his lead down to just 1,422 votes - but as of Wednesday morning have not received a response.
Tenney was elected to the 22nd Congressional District seat in 2016, winning a three-way race over Democrat Kim Myers and independent Martin Babinec.
Brindisi has served in the New York State Assembly since 2011.
The 22nd Congresional District includes all of Oneida, Madison, Chenango and Cortland counties, and parts of Herkimer, Broome, Oswego and Tioga counties.
- Brindisi leads 22nd Congressional race; absentee votes not yet counted
- Absentee ballot count underway in 22nd Congressional District race
- Absentee ballots will decide 22nd Congressional District race
- NewsTalk: 22nd Congressional District Candidate Anthony Brindisi
- Tenney, Brindisi talk campaign sign damage in 22nd Congressional race
- Absentee ballot count underway in Herkimer County as 22nd Congressional District waits for a winner
- New 22nd Congressional District vote total cuts Brindisi's lead over Tenney
- 22nd Congressional district race heats up
- New numbers in 22nd district congressional race
- Primary election absentee ballots now being counted