Utica, N.Y. - The 13th annual New York Sash Teddy Bear Toss at the Adirondack Bank Center at the Utica Memorial Auditorium is set for Saturday, December 9th, and some Utica kindergartners will be among the beneficiaries.
The 125 kindergartners at Kernan Elementary School in Utica will be among the 4,000 or so kids in the area who will receive a teddy bear or other stuffed animal this month, courtesy of the annual Teddy Bear Toss.
Michael Pagliaro, one of the kindergarten teachers at Kernan, approached New York Sash last year to see if the kids at Kernan could be among those recipients receiving one of the many teddy bears thrown on the ice at a Utica College Hockey game, "Sometimes the holidays come and a lot of the kids talk about having difficulties at home and things like that, so we just figured it would be a good opportunity for all of our students to get something special."
New York Sash Owner Scot Hayes says he was glad to help, and gave Pagliaro 125 stuffed animals last year and will do the same this year.
Hayes says he has many requests each year from numerous organizations, even as far away as Syracuse for the stuffed animals. He says he donates the toys to as many organizations as possible, but he says most of the toys do go to the Marine Corps League Toys For Tots Program which distributes toys to thousands of kids each holiday season.
- Teddy Bear Toss Engagement
- Teddy bears everywhere!
- Where do the teddy bears go?
- Utica's Teddy Bear Toss featured on Inside Editon
- Clinton native eyes coveted Teddy Bear Toss goal in front of hometown fans
- Children become less afraid of medical procedures at Teddy Bear Clinic
- Pioneers cruise past Cougars in 14th Annual New York Sash Teddy Bear Toss Game (full game)
- Bucell scores highly coveted goal, Pioneers roll over Chatham in 14th Annual New York Sash Teddy Bear Toss
- Build-a-Bear Blitz
- Bear found in the city of Rome