Utica, N.Y. - The Utica College Pioneers men's ice hockey team lit the lamp five times en route to a 5-0 win over Chatham in the 14th Annual New York Sash Teddy Bear Toss game at the Adirondack Bank Center, Saturday.
The Pioneers put 13 shots on their UCHC opponent in the first period, but freshman goalie Ricardo Gonzalez was up to the task, stopping all 13.
The 14th, however, would be the one to send the Teddies flying as Eric Holland took a shot that was stopped, but on the doorstep was Jamie Bucell who jammed home the rebound. It was a shorthanded goal that sent a shower of stuffed animals onto the ice as thousands were thrown by the sold-out crowd in attendance. The toys will be going to Operation Sunshine, Toys for Tots and other charitable organizations.
After the clean-up was complete, the Pioneers got right back to work. Brett Everson was waiting on the doorstep after Gregg Burmaster got a piece of the puck, sending it across the crease where Everson stuffed it into the goal. That doubled the UC lead to 2-0.
In the final minute of the stanza, Utica used a well-executed break-out to quickly rush down the ice, where Everson feathered a pass across the middle, and Shawn Lynch redirected it top shelf. The Pioneers would head into the 2nd intermission with a 3-0 lead.
In the third period with UC on a power play, Daniel Fritz got a pass at the point and ripped a wrist shot that went through traffic and into the net. His first of the year increased the lead to 4-0.
They weren't done there though. Later in the frame, Rome native JT Entelisano skated into the zone and put a sharp angle shot on goal, Rodriguez made the save, but the rebound popped out to Clinton native Burmaster who rifled the shot far side and in.
Utica finished with 44 shots on goal, and went 1-for-4 on the power play in the game. Freshman goalie Sean Dickson made 30 saves and earned his first career shutout.
The Pioneers return to action on Friday, December 7, on the road against Wilkes University.
- Bucell scores highly coveted goal, Pioneers roll over Chatham in 14th Annual New York Sash Teddy Bear Toss
- Pioneers cruise past Cougars in 14th Annual New York Sash Teddy Bear Toss Game (full game)
- Teddy Bear Toss Engagement
- Clinton native eyes coveted Teddy Bear Toss goal in front of hometown fans
- Teddy bears everywhere!
- Utica's Teddy Bear Toss featured on Inside Editon
- Where do the teddy bears go?
- SSHS surpasses fundraising goal at annual telethon
- Children become less afraid of medical procedures at Teddy Bear Clinic
- D'Aoust's pair of goals lifts Comets past Bears