(NBC News) Parents and children around the country spent Thursday waiting in lines for hours for Build-A-Bear's one day only "pay your age" promotion, only for the event to be shut down.
Thousands of shoppers, barely able to contain their excitement, clamoring for a cuddly toy at malls across America.
Lines wrapping around stores and shopping centers everywhere from Houston to Miami, with shoppers bearing the hours long wait all for the chance to pick up a bear for the price of their age.
But, the bear lovers blitz was too much for many stores and the company closed lines by midday across the U.S.
Build-A-Bear released a statement which said the response was "overwhelming" and they "understand that many guests were turned away, due to safety concerns created by the crowds."
The company said it would make vouchers available to its bonus club members.
Read more: http://bit.ly/2N9bwWM
Per local authorities, we cannot accept additional Guests at our locations due to crowd safety concerns. We have closed lines in our stores. We understand some Guests are disappointed and we will reach out directly as soon as possible. https://t.co/aSFfPCcfsG pic.twitter.com/WZJ53tOAEH
— Build-A-Bear Workshop (@buildabear) July 12, 2018
- Build-a-Bear Blitz
- Teddy Bear Toss Engagement
- Teddy bears everywhere!
- Where do the teddy bears go?
- Bear found in the city of Rome
- New York state conducting black bear survey
- Bear bites employee at Pennsylvania resort
- Hunters in New York killed 1,420 black bears in 2017
- D'Aoust's pair of goals lifts Comets past Bears
- Bears raid campsites after dry summer makes wild food scarce