UTICA, N.Y. -- The construction on the Veterans Memorial Bridge on Burrstone Road in Utica has been completed.
Governor Andrews Cuomo announced that the project was finished over the North-South Arterial Tuesday.
The $7.8 million rehabilitation project helped preserve the life of the bridge, which links east and west neighborhoods and businesses throughout the Mohawk Valley.
"Across the state, we are rebuilding and modernizing aging infrastructure to serve future generations of New Yorkers," Governor Cuomo said in a statement. "This rehabilitation of the Veterans Memorial Bridge in the heart of Utica will not only make travel safer and more efficient, it will also support economic growth in the entire Mohawk Valley."
The governor’s office says the upgrades will reduce traffic, enhance safety, and further advance the economy in the region.
The rehab project updated the three-span bridge by replacing the deck, joints and bearings, the piers and sidewalks, railings medians, and lighting. It even included landscaping and roadway striping.
The state DOT says scaffolding will come down Tuesday and the area will still need to be paved in the spring. DOT spokesperson Jim Piccola says construction on the bridge was much needed.
“The bridge was very old, it was in bad shape. And again, just as you're traveling the surface of the deck having a brand new bridge deck will be much better for the traveling public. We have our sidewalk that's here on the bridge, it’s just a really great project for the area,” Piccola said.
At least one lane of travel, in each direction was maintained on the bridge throughout construction
- Burrstone Road bridge construction complete in Utica
- Burrstone Road Bridge demolition now underway
- Phase 2 of Burrstone Road Bridge project begins Tuesday
- DOT warns of Arterial lane closures during Burrstone Road bridge deck demolition
- Boilermaker Sunday kicks off with 5K on Burrstone Road
- Replacement of Milford bridge complete in time for Thanksgiving travel
- Construction work underway at Utica Public Library
- Utica construction: Detours for Seneca, Washington streets
- Chenango Road bridge closed until further notice
- Bridge construction will cause Genesee Street and Route 8 closures