MOHAWK, N.Y. - The Central Valley School District Board of Education is releasing limited information after a Facebook post about an alleged bullying incident went viral over the weekend.
The post, authored by the victim's father, claims a student was the subject of racially-targeted bulling at Jarvis Middle School. Jonathan Leone claims his son's arm was broken in a physical altercation late last week, and that school officials suggested he transfer schools before suspending him.
Officials declined on-camera interviews, but the school board released the following statement regarding the post:
"The Board of Education of the Central Valley School District would like to address certain allegations contained in recent Facebook posts relating to the School District and a student injury, which were posted by a parent of that student. The safety of students and staff is of paramount importance for the Board of Education. Further, the Board of Education is committed to preventing bullying of students and all types of discrimination in the School District. Federal law limits the ability of the Board of Education and School District staff to comment publicly about matters involving specific instances of student discipline. That said, please be assured that the School District promptly investigated the matters referenced in the recent Facebook posts and took actions in response that were warranted, proportionate and fair. The School District has and will continue to strive to create a school environment that fosters civility and respect among all students, staff and visitors."
Leone refused an on-camera interview, saying he has retained a lawyer to represent his family. The attorney did not return requests for interviews.
Mohawk Police are investigating the altercation, and no charges have been pressed as of Monday.
- CVSD releases statement following viral Facebook bullying post
- Pit bull post ignites Facebook firestorm
- Utica Corporation Counsel releases statement on term limits vote
- Oneida police, school district and mayor release statement on alleged threat
- Central Valley School officials release statement following arrests of 4 students
- NewsTalk: Post-Boilermaker Nutrition
- WATCH: Trump delivers statement on Jerusalem
- Statement regarding interruption of Kentucky Derby
- Read: Robert Mueller's opening statements before Congress
- 10-year-old busts bullies with powerful song