CAMDEN – One student is speaking out following an altercation that led to the arrest of a 17-year-old Camden Central High School student.
16-year-old Katie-Lynn Bourgeois is recovering after an altercation that took place with a fellow Camden Central High School student during school hours.
"My throat hurts a lot when I talk,” said Katie-Lynn, Camden Central High School student. “Feel out of breath, very dizzy sometimes."
Katie-Lynn says while on a lunch break, a group of students went to a McDonald’s across the street when a fight broke out.
“She ripped me around and we were fighting back and forth, just us, and it ended up being me getting trapped into the wall and a bunch of other stuff happened,” Katie-Lynn said. “I got punched in the face several times right here and choked."
"At one-point I’m told from the police that she stopped choking her and went back to it," said Tami Bourgeois, Katie-Lynn’s mother.
Seventeen-year-old Aleighcia Gadwaw, of Annsville, is charged with endangering the welfare of a child and criminal obstruction of breathing. Gadwaw was arraigned and issued a restraining order that is only effective when the students are not on school grounds.
"It doesn't count for in school, which makes no sense,” Katie-Lynn said.
"They both have to be in that building, but I’m sure that with the school being aware of it and having uniform presence at the school, we will do our best to ensure that that order of protection is followed."
Tami says she’s considering all of the possibilities of alternative schooling options for Katie-Lynn.
"Because we live so close to the [Altmar-Parish-Williamstown] line, she’s asking me to get her enrolled in APW instead and what not, but she's been going to Camden all along. She's enrolled with Oneida County Boces on top of high school. So I don't know how all that would work out."
We reached out to school officials in the Camden Central School District for a response but have not heard back.
- Camden Central High School student charged after altercation with another student
- Former Camden high school student pleads guilty
- Camden High School to offer drone course
- 17-year-old Camden student arrested following fight with another teen
- Cassville man charged with assault after altercation with deputy
- 13-year-old Camden student hit when Taberg woman failed to stop for school bus, state police say
- Camden man facing charges in ongoing narcotics investigation
- Man charged with stealing items from Camden garage
- UPDATE: Person in custody following Facebook threat against Camden schools
- Man sentenced to prison time for threat against Camden schools