Photo Gallery 3 Images
LENOX – A Canastota teen was killed in a one-vehicle crash in the town of Lenox on Thursday afternoon, according to the Madison County Sheriff’s Office.
Deputies say around 1:16 p.m. Thursday, they responded to a crash involving a pickup truck and a tree. Passersby saw the truck driven by 16-year-old Coby Stevens heading southbound on Lewis Point Road in Lenox when it swerved off the east side of the road and struck a tree, according to deputies.
One of the witnesses then called 911 to report the crash. When first responders arrived at the scene, they found two people inside the vehicle.
Stevens, the driver of the truck, was pronounced dead at the scene. His passenger was transported to Upstate Medical University to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
The Canastota Fire Department, Greater Lenox Ambulance and New York State Police also assisted the Sheriff’s Office at the scene.
On Thursday, Canastota Central School District Superintendent June Clarke released the following statement to the school community:
“It is with a heavy heart that I must inform you of the death of one of our students. Junior Coby Stevens was killed earlier today in a one-vehicle accident. Our deepest condolences go out to Coby’s family in the face of what can only be described as an unimaginable loss. We will have crisis counselors available at the school beginning at 9:30 am on Friday for all students and staff. Please keep the Stevens and Appler families in your thoughts and prayers.”
Deputies say the investigation into the crash is ongoing.
- Canastota teen killed in 1-vehicle crash in Madison County
- Canastota elementary students evacuated due to carbon monoxide alarms
- Canastota man accused of raping child in Vernon
- Oneida man accused of making meth in Canastota apartment
- 8th annual Special Olympics Autumn Games held in Canastota
- State police searching for runaway teen in Madison County
- Madison County man accused of sexually abusing teen for months
- Dutchland Plastics to expand into new Canastota facility, create new jobs
- Canastota woman wins more than $100K playing bingo at Turning Stone
- White House Press Secretary's plane diverted, misses Tenney rally in Canastota