ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - In New York state government news, lawmakers are wrapping up the 2018 session with a long list of measures still up for debate.
Proposals to authorize and regulate sports betting at casinos and on mobile devices are a top issue. Casino owners are urging lawmakers to act soon to catch up to states like New Jersey, which began offering wagers on athletic events Thursday.
On school safety, Republicans want more armed school security guards while Democrats favor allowing teachers and parents to ask a judge to confiscate firearms from the homes of troubled students.
Bills to overhaul teacher evaluations, eliminate cash bail in most criminal cases and extend the statute of limitations for child molestation will also get a final push.
The Senate and Assembly are scheduled to adjourn Wednesday.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Capitol Watch: What's left as lawmakers work to adjourn
- Capitol Watch: What's left to do before lawmakers adjourn
- Capitol Watch
- Capitol Watch: Lawmakers to review voting problems
- Legislature adjourns 2018 session
- Capitol Watch: Will lawmakers vote to limit outside income?
- Capitol Watch: Top lawmakers dispute Cuomo pay limit claims
- Capitol Watch: Lawmakers pivot to legal pot, rent rules
- Capitol Watch: Primary Election Edition
- Capitol Watch: Special election, Nixon-Cuomo taxes