UTICA, N.Y. – Utica police have arrested and charged three men in connection to a report of shots fired on Cherry Street Wednesday afternoon.
The investigation turned into a car chase as suspects fled the scene. An officer reported seeing a suspect throw a handgun from the vehicle on Route 12 near French Road. Another officer secured the gun as evidence.
The car chase turned into a foot pursuit, leading police to find two suspects in the parking lot of Sangertown Square, and the other in the woods near the Yahnundasis Golf Club on Seneca Turnpike in New Hartford.
Police say the gun found was a loaded 9mm handgun and say the ammunition in the handgun matched the spent casings that were located at the initial scene on Cherry Street in Utica.
Police say 20-year-old Anthony Martin of Utica was the driver, and the two passengers were 22-year-old Tadarius Newkirk and 20-year-old Amhiz Hall.
All are facing criminal possession of a weapon and criminal possession of a firearm charges, but police say more charges are likely.
Police have not said which of the three is believed to be the one who fired shots on Cherry Street.
- UPDATE: Three Utica men charged in shots fired incident in Utica
- Utica Police investigating a shots fired incident
- Utica Police investigate a shots fired incident
- Utica Police investigating a shots fired Incident
- 17-year-old charged after Utica shots fired incident
- 2 Utica men charged following shooting, shots fired incidents overnight Sunday
- Three shots fired incidents in Utica on Sunday
- Third suspect arrested in Utica shots fired incident
- One injured following shots fired incident in Utica
- Utica man charged in Cornhill shooting incident