(July 29, 2017)
Cooperstown, N.Y. - Cheryl Zane made the trip to Cooperstown from Houston this year for the second time in three years. Two years ago she and a group of friends made the pilgrimage to witness Houston Astros 2nd baseman Craig Biggio get inducted into the
Baseball Hall of Fame, and now this year, she and her friends are back to witness Astros left fielder Jeff Bagwell get enshrined. They learned some lessons from 2015.
Saturday morning, Zane and her friends were among the first to get through the gates on Main St. in order to secure a coveted seat right near the Hall of Fame. But they chose seats on the same side of the street as the Hall of Fame, not across from it.
"We learned to be on this side of the street after last time because as they're driving up, they're looking this way, it's better to take pictures," Zane said.
Several thousand people will line Main St. to watch the Hall of Famers parade by.
The gates opened at 7:00 a.m. Saturday morning and many of those first through opted to run right for the spots near the Hall of Fame, as some rows were five rows deep by 11:00 a.m..
Susanne Dechenes and her two sisters made the drive down from Ottawa, Canada. Dechenes says she was surprised to see so many people had their chairs lines up so early.
"That I didn't expect. And the last time I was here, it wasn't an induction weekend, so the ambiance is different. Here this week, people talk to you sitting at other tables, I love it."
The parade kicks off from Double Day Field at 6:00 p.m. and ends at the National Baseball Hall of Fame.
- Chairs in place, thousands prepare for Hall of Fame Parade in Cooperstown
- World Series artifacts headed to Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown
- Quite a warm day for the annual Hall of Fame Classic in Cooperstown
- Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce honors Business Hall of Fame Class of 2019
- Chipper Jones visits Baseball Hall of Fame
- Boxing Hall of Fame weekend approaches
- 2018 Boxing Hall of Fame Induction ceremony
- Baseball Hall of Fame Weekend Overview
- Toy Hall of Fame announces 2018 inductees
- Baseball Hall of Fame announces 2019 ballot