HERKIMER, N.Y. -- The Herkimer County Herkimer County Agricultural Council brought together a number of cheese farmers interested in starting up a cheese trail.
A cheese trail would allow people to visit a number of cheese farms where they could learn about farming and what goes into making cheese.
Six local cheese makers are currently on board for the cheese trail, which is now in the planning stages.
A committee will meet to decide on when the first cheese trail tour will happen, as well as marketing strategies, and possible funding sources to promote the event.
Starting the cheese trail came with some apprehension, but once the ball started rolling, the mood turned to excitement.
“You can come and enjoy a little, a little bit of seeing what's being made, and then taste it. Other farms may have a pet the goats day, or each farm is going to have something unique to bring to the table, but yes everybody would drive around and get to each farm. Well, the farms that they can reach, and spend some time there,” said Jones Family Farm’s Suzie Jones.
Right now, the goal is trying to find a day that works for everyone, and what each farm will have to offer.
- Cheese lover? Herkimer County plans to start cheese trail at area farms
- Turning cheese into booze?
- Panera Bread voluntarily recalls some cream cheese
- Thousands flock to Little Falls for annual cheese festival
- Chick-fil-A adds mac and cheese to the menu
- Volkswagen and Philadelphia cream cheese ads banned over gender stereotypes
- Consumer alert : Improperly pasteurized cow’s milk cheese from Sprout Creek Farm distributed to the Turning Stone
- Herkimer County farm wins prestigious international award
- Raw goat milk cheese from The Maiden's Creamery recalled due to Listeria
- Kraft recalls Taco Bell queso cheese dip for potential botulism risk