NEW HARTFORD, N.Y. - Construction on the Chenango Bridge in New Hartford is underway.
The bridge sits in two municipalities, the north end belongs to Utica and the south end belongs to New Hartford.
The construction isn't on the bridge itself, its underneath the bridge on the New Hartford side.
Richard Sherman, the highway superintendent for the town of New Hartford says the bridge closed in May due to erosion that was becoming a risk for the overall structure.
"The bridge was closed back in May because it was dangerous," Sherman said. "If we had anymore rain events and we get flooding conditions, that would wash more of it away so for safety reasons the bridge was closed."
The Utica side of the bridge was completed a few years ago. There are now large rocks that are drilled and pinned together. Sherman says once construction in New Hartford is complete, it will be identical to the Utica side. The idea of the design is to prevent erosion and control flooding damage.
"We didn't have the protection on our side and it kept eroding the bridge and the dirt away from the back-walls," Sherman said. "Another good rain event and it would've washed the rest of that away and then we would've had a problem."
Though the bridge closed about four months ago, construction could not start due to bidding issues and approval of the project design from the Department of Environmental Conservation.
"There was some problems with the bidding the first time around so we had to go out three weeks later for a second bid," Sherman said. "The bid got awarded to Central Paving, they're on site now, they got their surveyors here, they surveyed it and now their equipment is here, they're de-watering it, getting that set up so they can start bringing the large rock in."
According to Sherman, the DEC wants the workers out of the water and the project completed by October 1. Sherman hopes it will be done by then.
- Chenango Ave Bridge construction underway
- Chenango Road bridge closed until further notice
- Chenango Bridge now open after repairs
- Brindisi, Griffo secure state funding to fix Chenango Road Bridge
- Portion of Chenango Road is closed for bridge repairs
- Chenango County woman killed in house fire
- Trial underway for Chenango County man accused of killing adopted son
- Opening statements underway for Chenango County man accused of killing adopted son
- Burrstone Road Bridge demolition now underway
- Construction work underway at Utica Public Library