NEW HARTFORD, N.Y. -- A portion of Chenango Road between Lomond Place and Old Campion Road is closed until further notice for bridge repairs.
The New Hartford Highway superintendent says there have been issues with this bridge for the past few years.
The north side was rebuilt a couple years ago, but the south side was never redone.
Heavy rain on Friday raised the Sauquoit Creek water levels up and deteriorated the dirt around the bridge, which is why it closed.
"The design of the bridge for the fix has been done. Right now, they are applying for permits through DEC and Army Core to get those permits so we can go in and fix the structure. This has been ongoing but like I said for the recent rain on Friday it has made it worse where the engineer said for public safety we need to close the bridge,” said Richard Sherman, the highway superintendent.
the road could reopen in the late summer and early fall, but it's closed until further notice.
- Chenango Road bridge closed until further notice
- Portion of Chenango Road is closed for bridge repairs
- Chenango Ave Bridge construction underway
- Brindisi, Griffo secure state funding to fix Chenango Road Bridge
- Chenango Bridge now open after repairs
- Chenango County woman killed in house fire
- 27-year-old Sherburne man killed in Chenango County crash
- Massive fire in Chenango County destroys car dealership
- Chenango County man accused of holding woman down, raping her
- Chenango County mother admits killing adopted son, burning down home