FRANKFORT, NY – There was some good food being dished out in Frankfort Saturday, and it was all for a good cause.
The 2nd annual Mohawk Valley Challengers Chili and Riggies Cook-off was held at VFW Post 502 on Acme Road in Frankfort.
There was also a Chinese auction and live entertainment.
The cook-off served as a fundraiser for the Mohawk Valley Challengers.
The Challengers are a local flag football team and cheer squad comprised of special needs youth.
The focus is on their abilities, not their disabilities said Rebekah Brink, whose son plays for the football team.
“I’ve heard a lot of parents say my child can’t do this, or my child can’t do that. My child can’t run or whatever. Can your child hold the ball? Then they can play football. Can your child smile? Then they can cheer.”
The Mohawk Valley Challengers began in 2014 with just seven people.
It has grown since then to include over 30 players and cheerleaders.
Greg Malta Jr. took first place in the chili cook-off, and Jeremy Stephens took first place in the riggies cook-off.
- Chili & riggies cook-off benefits Mohawk Valley Challengers
- Mug Club: Chicken Riggie Challenge
- Riggies, Greens & Rock!
- Riggies, Greens, and Rock!
- Mohawk Valley Challengers flag football game
- Mug Club: Chicken Riggie Dinner
- Mohawk Valley recognizes Good Friday
- NewsTalk: United Way Youth Cooking Challenge
- Harried Housewife: Loaded Chili
- Mug Club: Folts Home Chicken Riggies Dinner