Cigarette caused Frankfort porch fire which left nine homeless

Fire officials have released the cause of a fire that left nine people without a home earlier this week.

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 5:23 PM

FRANKFORT – Fire officials have released the cause of a fire that left nine people without a home earlier this week.

A cigarette on the second-floor porch of a house on Reese Road near Second Avenue.

Frankfort Fire Department officials say a second-floor tenant was smoking on the porch and discarded the cigarette before leaving the house around 11:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Firefighters from several departments were called to the home four hours later for a report of the fire. The Red Cross is assisting the four adults and five children who lived in the multi-family home.

Article Comments

Utica
Scattered Clouds
85° wxIcon
Hi: 84° Lo: 69°
Feels Like: 89°
Oneonta
Few Clouds
81° wxIcon
Hi: 84° Lo: 65°
Feels Like: 82°
Herkimer
Scattered Clouds
85° wxIcon
Hi: 85° Lo: 69°
Feels Like: 89°
Thendara
Scattered Clouds
85° wxIcon
Hi: 79° Lo: 62°
Feels Like: 89°
WKTV Radar
WKTV Temperatures
WKTV Severe Weather
Click here to learn more about A Healthier Mohawk Valley
Less that 50 Golf Cards left ... only $79.99 for 28 courses
Voters can win prizes too