CLINTON, NY-- A local woman has a passion for trash.
Melissa Shupp, of Clinton, started her composting business CNY Green Cycle just over a month ago.
"The reason why I started it to help the Earth," she said. "Just to be doing what I feel is best for the Earth."
Shupp drives to all six of her clients homes once a week, picks up their compost and then brings it to a local farm, where it's turned into sustainable soil. Her services start at $25 a month. Waste Management, a garbage and recycling pick up business contracted throughout Oneida County, charges $82 quarterly, or $27 monthly. CNY Green Cycle charges slightly less with discounts available for referred clients, and the business is growing.
Laura Wileczka is a friend of Shupp's and uses CNY Green Cycle Services.
"It's really easy," Wileczka said. "I mean you cut up some fruit, vegetables put the scrapes in the bin. We have a compost bin, a small one on our counter and we'll put scraps in there after you eat dinner or you scraps off the scraps right into that bin."
Wileczka said her family produces 10 to 14 pounds of compost each week.
"We bring out our garbage probably once every two weeks now it just it's so much less garbage because of all the food scraps that we normally would've put in the garbage," Wileczka said.
The business has collected more than 2,000 pounds of garbage to date, all of it prevented from going in the local landfill.
- Clinton-based composting business turns waste into profit
- NewsTalk: Composting with CNY Green Cycle
- Last Chance to Purchase Compost Bins & Rain Barrels
- Base Run Draws Hundreds
- One More Green Waste Pickup
- Green waste pick-up under scrutiny
- Turning cheese into booze?
- Clinton Among Hockeyville Final Four
- Jim Zecca receives NYS Solid Waste Managers Achievement Award
- Tips to go green and reduce waste this Halloween